Tropical is an aesthetic that is based on comfort, ease, and utility and is eclectic by definition. The style is characterized by warm and soothing themes and colors drawn mostly from natural elements such as the sea, sky, and vegetation (plants, fruits, flowers, etc). Hues may be deep and rich or may fall on the lighter, brighter side.
Tropical aesthetics are usually inspired by a tropical island, the beach, salty life, simple living and bohemian living. The clothes are usually beach friendly, mostly white clothes to help with the heat of the sun, beige colors, green and brown. This (currently) small aesthetic is closely related to Seacore and Bohemian.
The principles are inspired by survivalism and eco-friendly life. The visuals are strongly inspired by movies such as The Blue Lagoon, Nim's Island, Castaway, and Moana. Common visual cues in the Tropical aesthetic include:
- Tropical islands
- Caribbean sea
- Old clothes
- Sea animals
Tropical fashion can go in any multitude of directions, but it's generally agreed upon that Tropical clothing is usually very lightweight and breezy.
For younger people, there might be a nod towards the Surfer look, such as oversized t-shirts, beach waves, beach bag, and a carefree attitude. These characteristics also tie into stereotypical surfer vibes, which are a large sum of the origin of this aesthetic. Many women may opt for swimsuits or bikinis or even wetsuits if they are also surfers.
For the more well-to-do, there is Resort wear (also known as cruise wear) is a fashion style that was initially only for customers of affluence who would travel abroad around Christmas and New Year's to warmer climates, but has since become a more common fashion aesthetic with the increase of both volume and accessibility in air travel. Resort wear is signified by its lightweight material, ease of cleaning, and don't need to be ironed at all. The look of resort wear can include a Nautical theme, Hawaiian prints, Mediterranean colors, and overall bright floral patterns combined with oversized hats, sunglasses, swimsuits, and open-toed shoes. Despite the ease of access to Resort wear for regular people, it can still be a signifier of relaxation, affluence, appreciation of nature, and a sharp sense of style. Even though there are stores that specialize in Resort wear (like Banana Republic, J.Crew, and Tommy Bahama), individual fashion houses will still create Resort wear lines in their individual collections (like Chanel, Prada, Marc Jacobs, and Michael Kors).
Common clothing elements from Tropical aesthetics include:
- Colours: White, brown, green and beige
- Seashell jewelry
- Swimwear and Beachwear
- Crochet clothes
- Second-Hand clothes
- Thin and flowy fabrics
- Straw hats
- Leaves and flowers
- Long salty hair
The decor is based on found things on the beach and seashells among other "castaway" related things
- Wooden decor
- Found object (around the beach)
- Painted and Handmade objects
- Ropes and other ship items
Usually, Tropical-related activities revolved around the beach and the ocean, collecting things and being in the sunshine
- Collecting herbs, seaweed or rocks
- "Fishing and collecting fruits for survival"
- Building and crafting
Movies & TV Shows
- The Blue Lagoon (1980)
- Return to the Blue Lagoon (1991)
- Castaway (1986)
- Cast Away (2000)
- Moana (2016)
- Six Days, Seven Nights (1998)
- Waterworld (1997)
- Kon-Tiki (2012)
- Nim's Island (2008)
- Survival Island (2005)
- Splash (1984)
- Gilligan's Island (1964-1967)
- "Castaway" by Lucy Irvine
- Marc Anthony
- Gloria Estefan
- Daddy Yankee
- Jennifer Lopez
- Wisin y Yandel
- DJ Snake
- The Beach Boys
- Tropical Morning Spotify playlist by louise.s.mcgeown
- Tropical House Official Spotify playlist
- Tropical Vibes Spotify playlist by TrendingList
- Tropical Beats Official Spotify playlist
- Tropical House Remixes 🍍 Tropical Remixes & Tropical Covers Spotify playlist by Soave
- Tropical Chill / Tropical House / Deep House / Chill House (Kygo, Matoma, Klingande, Thomas Jack, Felix Jaehn, etc.) Spotify playlist by Marvin Edelkamp
- Tropical Nights Official Spotify playlist
- Tropical K-Pop Official Spotify playlist (for you K-Pop stans out there).