Traditional goth (sometimes shortened to trad goth) came about with the original music genre in the late 70's and early 80's. Trad goths listen to officially classified goth music, such as; goth rock, deathrock, darkwave, coldwave, minimalwave and etherealwave. Trad goth fashion includes backcombed hair, black clothing and dark makeup.
Music is incredibly important to Trad Goths. These bands and artists include:
- Goth Rock
- Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Cure, The Sisters of Mercy, Southern Death Cult, The Cult.
- Waves (Darkwave, Coldwave, Minimalwave, and Etherealwave)
- Lebanon Hanover, Linea Aspera, Trance to the Sun, Clan of Xymox, Lycia, Drab Majesty.
- Alien Sex Fiend, 45 Grave, Christian Death, Altar de Fey, Horror Vacui.
Trad goth fashion tends to revolve around black, leather, studs and band tees. The hair is often black, backcombed or teased, and paired with dark, heavy makeup. They also heavily focus on home made/altered clothing.
Common items include:
- Leather jackets
- Short, low waisted skirts
- Studs/Studded accessories
- Band Tees
- Ripped Items