The formal Regency era lasted from 1811 to 1820 AD, but the period from 1795 to 1837 AD is also sometimes regarded as part of the Regency era. Technically the term Regency refers to a time period in British history, but it is commonly applied to the same time period in other countries, such as France, Russia, and the United States, because of the wide reach of the aesthetic. In the US, this time period is sometimes referred to as the Federalist Era.
The fashion and artistic design of the Regency era was heavily influenced by archeological finds. Ancient Greek clothing influenced women's fashion and design motifs from pottery and furniture were copied.
The Regency aesthetic experienced a revival in the early 1900s due to Kate Greenaway's illustrations in children's books, and much later in 2021 with the release of the Bridgerton Netflix series.
Regency visuals are often focused on elegance and grace.
- Tea cups
- Wedgewood pottery
Traditional regency dresses are characterized by loose, gauzy skirts and an empire silhouette. They normally tend to be in pastels. Accessories include gloves, necklaces, bonnets, shawls/wraps, headpieces, parasols, and fans.
Men's fashion included top hats, cravats, shirts with high collars, waistcoats, frock coats, tight fitting breeches, and riding boots. Zack Pinset is a rare example of a man who exclusively wears Regency men's fashion.
- Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen (1811)
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (1813)
- Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (1814)
- Emma by Jane Austen (1815)
- 12 German Dances, WoO8 - Ludwig van Beethoven (1795)
- 12 German Dances, WoO13 - Ludwig van Beethoven (1792-1797)
The Regency era is a popular setting for historical romance novels.
- Georgette Heyer novels
- Austenland by Shannon Hale
- Bridgerton series by Julia Quinn (2000-2013)
- Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith
- Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters by Ben H. Winters
- The Season by Sarah Maclean
- Cecelia and Kate series by Patricia C. Wrede
- Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke
- Princess Caraboo (1994)
- Pride & Prejudice (1995)
- Sense & Sensibility (1995)
- Pride & Prejudice (2005)
- Becoming Jane (2007)
- War and Peace (2007)
- Lost in Austen (2008)
- Death Comes to Pemberley (2013)
- Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell (2015)
- Love & Friendship (2016)
- Vanity Fair (2018)
- Sanditon (2019)
- Mr Malcolm's List
- Emma (2020)
- Bridgerton [Netflix show] (2020)
- Regency House Party (2004)
- Taking a walk in the garden
- Debutante balls
- Playing the pianoforte
- Hand writing letters
- Drinking tea
- Browsing clothes (dresses, bonnets, gloves, jewellery, etc)
- Jane Austen Centre
- Getting Dressed - Jane Austen and her sister Cassandra (1810)
- Getting Dressed in 1816 - Mary Shelley
- Historical Costume In A Day: Regency
- Zack Pinsent Instagram