Pastel Academia is one of the many variations part of the "Academia" aesthetic and subculture. It revolves around the ideals of having a passion for learning and studying. Specifically the arts and literature. Someone apart of the pastel academia aesthetic is less mature and more child-like than those who identify with the other versions of academia. They enjoy venturing and have an overall optimistic and positive outlook on life, juxtaposing its less optimistic variations. unlike its more well-known variations, Pastel Academia visually stems from a mixture of East Asian (mainly Japanese) and European cultures.
Pastel Academia very obviously is another variation in the theme of the 'Academia' aesthetic. However, what makes Pastel Academia different from other versions of its kind is very clear and easily identifiable. Pastel Academia is centered around having a passion and enjoyment for learning, exploring, and studying. Just like the other academias, Pastel academia is about finding romanticism in education and learning new things. Unlike the more popular variation, Dark Academia, People who identify with pastel academia are more life-loving. They find happiness and peace in the little things like hanging out with a small group of friends or going to small cafés early in the morning, similar to people identifying with Light Academia. What makes them stand out the most, though, is their child-like and more immature personality than their other variants. They are optimistic, hopelessly romantic, curiosity-driven young-at-heart individuals. This is not to be associated with them infantizing themselves. (to be discussed later in more detail) Compared with the rest of the academia personalities, Pastel academia is not quite far off but still standing out (the elephant in the room, if you will) personality-wise and appearance-wise.
Note: these are just some ideas to identify Pastel Academia fashion, remember that you don't need to conform exactly to these ideas, they are just most of many.
- Sweater Vests/ Vests
- Plaid trousers + Skirts
- white lolita style dresses
- Collared shirts
- Pastel or floral Hijabs
- Knit wear
- Seifuku dresses and uniform
- Long, net skirts
- Lolita style shoes
- Bow ties + ties
- Berets, hairclips, hair bows etc
- Watches, bracelets, friendship charms
- Lace socks
- Two ponytails
- Hair Down with an accessory
- Half up half down twintails
- Rosy pink/red/peachy blush
- Peachy eyeshadows and glosses
- Gradient lips
lots of girl/boy groups, Lo-Fi, soft ballads, soft pop,(soft ver any genre) musical soundtracks from childhood movies !
Details and Notes
The two main aspects in almost every aesthetic is 1) The Ideals and/or Personality and 2) The visual aesthetic. So lets discuss these!
1) The ideals and/or personality:
- There could be controversy in the future about this aesthetic being too "childish" to the point where people label it as infantizing. so I'm going to clear it up right here and right now. In no way shape or form is the intention of this aesthetic to attract or entertain pedophiles and imitate children. There is a huge difference between enjoying what society labels as 'childish' things and infantizing yourself to entertain adults. Pastel Academia stands for people who never or rarely got to experience being young, even if it's a time in their life they miss. Wether it's part of their personality or something that was developed throughout their life due to their environment, the innocence of this aesthetic is solely to give those people a safe space where they can express their love for studying arts, literature and much more whist standing up to people who tell them to "act their age" just because they are passionate about certain things like going on picnics, pastel colors and collecting things that make them happy. There is NO place in this community for individuals who infantize themselves for the pleasure of pedos, incels etc.
- As mentioned before, the Pastel Academia aesthetic focuses on people who are more child-like at heart, they are usually optimists who's strength is that they often think creatively and outside of the box. This makes them academically suited for studies like literature and the Arts, however, they don't have to be confined to just those subjects in particular.
-They love giving and occasionally craft gifts for their loved ones. Speaking of loved ones, People of this aesthetic are huge hopeless romantics. You could find them daydreaming, drawing, reading or just thinking about their SO or someone they want to be with all day. In a relationship, they are caring and loving toward the other person/s, they get excited over little things that their partner does and is a very considerate person overall.
-They are also quite spiritual despite their child-like tendencies, they are always searching for meanings to things due to their curiosity wether it be through religion or any other practice, this also drives them to philosophy.
- Very kind to people around them, have a certain charm to them that people love, even if they can be introverted most of the time.
2) The Visual Aesthetic:
- Pastel academia visuals are heavily inspired by European and Japanese or East Asian cultures and environment. For example, the architecture of European style buildings, specifically universities like Oxford and places like Alnwick Castle, along with countryside and outskirt environments of Japanese provinces such as Chichibu, Shirakaba and many more. However, if you live somewhere where there isn't much to explore like a city or a desert, you're still encouraged to go out and explore these places, look for secret gems in the urban city and create your own homely Pastel Academia environment. Cute Cafés and secret studying spots are also a huge part of the pastel academia eyecandy. Having a cozy space to study, cute supplies eg washi tape, personalized note books and just having supplies that motivate you to study more, they don't necessarily need to be expensive, Pastel Academia isn't limited to people who cannot afford expensive school supplies.