Old Hollywood is an aesthetic surrounding the movies, music, and fashion of the 1930's- 1950's. It's meant to draw you into a time before and forget about the current things happening.
Fashion from the old Hollywood days include:
- Midi length dresses, large collars, puff sleeves, belted waists
- A long evening gown, backless, deep cut, sleeveless
- High waisted sailor pants
- Slouch hats, tilt hats, knit berets
- Pillbox hats
- Fur boas and jackets
- Oxford Shoes
- T-strap and Mary Jane heels
- Kitten heels
- Pearl earrings
- Small handbags
- Opera gloves
Makeup was minimal but bold, dark lips and thin eyebrows were popular.
You can get pieces like these from vintage/thrift stores, there are also lots of sewing patterns on Etsy.
- Lots of waves
- Shorter hair is ideal, but you can still have lots of hair-do's with longer hair.
- Classic finger curls are an amazing look.
- You can find lots of inspiration from actors at the time.
Here are some of the classic movies from this time period.
- The Wizard of Oz (1939)
- Gone with the Wind (1939)
- King Kong (1933)
- The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)
- Frankenstein (1931)
- Dracula (1931)
- Snow White (1937)
There are also many later movies, set in or pay homage to the era:
- Sunset Boulevard (1951)
- Cats Don't Dance (1997)
- Silent Movie (1976)
- Singin' In The Rain (1952)
- The Artist (2011)
- Myra Breckinridge (1970)
-Hollywood, Ryan Murphy (2020) (about a group of aspiring actors and filmmakers during the Hollywood Golden Age in the post-World War II era)