Mall Pop was a loosely-defined musical style and aesthetic that was popular from roughly 2001 to 2004. The music and fashion of this era (i.e. Avril Lavigne, Michelle Branch, Goo Goo Dolls) was rather preppy, but had a more sophisticated and serious side to it as well. Rock released during this period has also been referred to as Minivan Rock.
Fashion for Mall Pop was similar to Y2K and various Alternative styles. This style of fashion was often compared to Emo but there are definite distinctions between the two aesthetics. Emo fashion (depending on the decade) emphasizes black complimenting brighter colors (such as pink, blue, etc.) meanwhile color isn't a focus of Mall Pop; instead, the alternative fusion between Y2K and Alternative.
Reoccurring fashion elements include:
- Baggy pants/jeans
- Revealing tops and conservative bottoms
- Neck accessories (Necklaces, chokers, ties, etc.)
This era was defined by cheesy CGI and film adaptations of TV shows.
- Shrek (2001)
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001)
- Ice Age (2002)
- Spider-Man (2002)
- Scooby - Doo (2002)
- Lilo & Stitch (2002)
- Wild Thornberrys Movie (2002)
- Finding Nemo (2003)
- The Cat in the Hat (2003)
- Looney Tunes: Back in Action (2003)
- Teacher's Pet (2004)
- Garfield (2004)
- Yu-Gi-Oh! The Movie: Pyramid of Light (2004)