Hippie (sometimes spelled hippy) is a member of the counterculture of the 1960s, originally a youth movement that began in the United States and spread to other countries around the world. The word hippie came from hipster and was used to describe beatniks who moved into New York City's Greenwich Village and San Francisco's Haight-Ashbury district. While it faded out of fashion in the 70's, it has enjoyed occasional blips of popularity since the 90's.
For more information on the predominant part of the Hippie visuals, please check out the Psychedelica page, as the roots of Psychedelica are tied to early Hippie culture and still tie into the modern day Hippie aesthetic.
- Going to peaceful political protests
- Playing music together
- Learning about other cultures
- Meditating, doing yoga or otherwise becoming more at peace
- Gardening/farming and supporting local agriculture
Hippie fashion may draw a lot of inspiration from the 60's, but there are some modern hippie clothing vendors one can buy that range from tie dye clothing, to clothing with sacred geometry on it to Harem pants. Bright colours and complex patterns such as paisley often feature as does loose fitting, baggy clothes and beaded jewellery.
- Tie dye anything
- Spiral patterns
- Long, flowing gowns/coats
- Harem pants
- Long skirts
- Hair ribbons
- Lots of handmade bracelets, earrings and necklaces
- Big hats
- Anything with tassels and frills
- Rainbow stuff
- Big sunglasses
- Long scarfs
- High Tied Dyes
- Liquid Blue
- Sure Design T-Shirts
- Harem Pants
- Warrior Within Designs
- Shanti Banti
- Inner Art World
- The Headspace
- The Doors
- The Beatles
- Jimi Hendrix
- Janis Joplin
- The Mamas and the Papas
- Grateful Dead
- Jefferson Airplane
- Hippie Music 60s-70s Spotify playlist by moonietunes2
- hippie vibes Spotify playlist by gracie!3
- '60s - Hippie Rock Spotify playlist by Alden Brouwer
- 70s hippies Spotify playlist by Caro Amapola
- Hippie Anthology Spotify playlist by Laurent Laboutiere
- Hippie Vibes by d.t.02
Gray Hippie is an aesthetic that combines boho/hippie themes together. Its general themes involve books and poetry.
Neo-Hippie is a person who resembles or behaves like a hippie, or espouses an ideology like that of the hippies of the late 1960s and early 1970s in present day.
Dark Hippie is an aesthetic movement that combines the Goth scene and the neo-hippie movement. People in it believe in neohippie ideology (peace, love, ect) but also have the dark outlook of goth.
Rainbow Hippie is an aesthetic combining the hippie aesthetic with bright colours, mysticism, youthfulness and optimism, it could be seen as a mix between the hippie aesthetic and fairycore or kidcore.