Trigger Warning! Some sensitive topics are mentioned in this article.
E-People (short for electronic people) is a blanket term for people who fall into either the E-Girl or E-Boy aesthetic popular on TikTok that first rose to prominence on Tumblr back in 2013 - 2014.
Electronic girl, commonly shortened as E-girl is a type of feminine alternative aesthetic similar to soft grunge or plant mom. Although the term E-Girl was coined to describe a type of girl who uses the TikTok app, the fashion sense of an E-Girl dates back to around 2013 / 2014 tumblr.com.
An E-Girl usually wants to show off a persona of being geeky yet sexy while also being slightly dark. This often manifests itself through interests in anime/manga, video games, Japanese fashion and music, nu-metal, and lingerie.
Other common trends for a 2020 E-Girl include:
- Pigtails with two thin strands of hair left out parted in the middle, similar to Harley Quinn's hair in the 2016 film Suicide Squad OR, two front hairpieces dyed in a different color than the rest of the hair. Other hairstyles such as bangs, twintails and split-dye hair are popular as well.
- wearing large, bold winged eyeliner along with blush on the nose, dark lipstick, and small doodles beneath the eye such as a heart or star
- striped shirts and fishnets beneath ripped jeans
- The Ahegao face, whether it's re-enacting the face or wearing it on clothes as a pattern (careful, it is NSFW)
- dancing or lipsyncing to dramatic scenes, comedic scenes, and music (though this is a common trend on TikTok).
E-Girl fashion tends to draw a lot of inspiration from Emo, Scene, Goth, Punk, Grunge, and Animecore; invoking a sort of "edge" to their personality. They also tend to wear their geekiness on their sleeves as well and will either wear clothing showing off this geeky side, if not getting into outright Cosplay with some of their fashion choices.
- e-girl songs Spotify playlist by abstarzy
- E-Girly season 🧚🏼♀️🖤☠️ Spotify playlist by genevieve.mrvan
- e-girl tiktok songs Spotify playlist by mary caroline
- e girl vibes Spotify playlist by Bella Comellini
- 🖤 e girl anthems 🖤 Spotify playlist by zeldymusic
E-Boys gained popularity through the TikTok app, similar to the E-Girl. The style is very close to modern-day grunge with an additional emphasis on electronics.
E-Boys practice a lot of the same trends as the E-Girl trend, like as show aning interest in anime and video games, having a persona of being soft yet sexy, striped clothes, dyed hair, and tattoos beneath the eytcect.
There are also some trends that are more emphasized in the E-Boy Aesthetic, such as:
- Addiction and mental illness, similar to the sadboi aesthetic
- Interest in artists such as Lil Peep, $uicideboy$, xxxTentacion, Freddie Dredd, Ghostemane
- Self-made temporary tattoos
- Chipped black nail polish
- Asymmetrical earrings
- split-dyed hair
- curtained hair (a.k.a "middle part")
Similar to their female counterparts, E-Boy fashion tends to draw a lot of inspiration from Emo, Scene, Goth, Punk, Grunge, and Animecore; invoking a sort of "edge" to their personality. They also tend to wear their geekiness on their sleeves as well and will either wear clothing showing off this geeky side, if not getting into outright Cosplay with some of their fashion choices. Some people have described younger Damon Albarn from The Blur (specifically for the music video "Girls and Boys") as the blueprint for the modern E-Boy.
- E boy playlist Spotify playlist by JodyJohnston
- E-Boy TikTok Songs Spotify playlist by salazar.jessica.513
- E-Boy Bops Spotify playlist by Regan
- ✞ E-boy ✞ Spotify playlist by Quin Kempker
- e-boy songs Spotify playlist by abstarzy
- 🖤 E-Boy 🖤 Spotify playlist by ringler311075