Warning: Due to the nature of some dreams, this page may contain some disturbing, nightmare-inspired images, so be forewarned about some of the images depicted in this.
Dreamy (also known as Dreamcore) is an aesthetic that revolves around dreams. The Dreamy aesthetic can dance between the realms of being somewhat grounded in reality to being so surreal that there's no confusing it with one's state of reality.
Dreamy visuals have a very ethereal vibe, which can either be a "realistic" ethereal (which can give it plenty in common with Angelcore or Cloudcore) or a "surreal" ethereal (which can give it plenty in common with either Synthwave or Vaporwave), but shares a lot in common with the Lo-Fi aesthetic (which has a similarly hazy vibe to it). What differentiates the two, however, is Lo-Fi deals almost exclusively with the waking world, Dreamy deals strictly with the "sleeping" world.
- Ruffled top, lace top
- flowy skirts/silk shirts
- ballet flats, white sneakers, sandals, lace white heels
- boot cut jeans
- flowy dress/silk dress
- accessories such as pendants, simple necklaces, pearl earrings, pendant simple earrings, simple rings, and simple glowy makeup.
- tulle dresses, skirts and blouses
- Glow in the Dark Clothing
- Iridescent Clothing
- LED Clothing
- Fiber Optic Light Clothing
- Eraserhead (1977)
- Blue Velvet (1986)
- Dreams (1990)
- Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (1992)
- Lost Highway (1997)
- Pi (1998)
- What Dreams May Come (1998)
- Being John Malkovich (1999)
- Mulholland Drive (2001)
- Inland Empire (2006)
- I'm Thinking of Ending Things (2020)
Among the many "dreamy" styles of music, the most noteworthy is Dream Pop, a subgenre of alternative rock and neo-psychedelia that developed in the 1980s. The style is typified by a preoccupation with sonic texture and atmosphere as much as melody. It often overlaps with the related genre of shoegazing, and the two genre terms have at times been used interchangeably.
- Dreamy Vibes Offical Spotify Playlist
- Favorite lofi・DREAMY Spotify playlist by Dreamy (for you Lo-Fi fans out there)
- Dreamy Synthwave Rebels Spotify playlist by Sonic Gap (for the Synthwave fans)
- dreamy songs to make ur heart glow ☁️ Spotify playlist by Steph Bong
- Dreamy Lofi Spotify playlist by Angel Shih
- dreamy vibes & late night drives Spotify playlist by Joshua Samuel
- dreamy🌿✨ Spotify playlist by Autumn Brea
- into the ethereal Spotify playlist by LollyMallow (daydreaming/middle of the night vibes)
- Lana Del Rey
- Mild High Club
- Cocteau Twins
- A. R. Kane
- My Bloody Valentine
- Dreaming and daydreaming
- Lucid dreaming
- Writing and reading poetry and fantasy stories
- Bubble baths
- Laying in bed
- Cloudgazing and stargazing
- Enjoying the company of others
- Write and talk about dreams
- Coping with nightmares
Hypnocore is a subgenre of Dreamy that relates to surreality and a sense of being controlled, hypnotized, or otherwise losing one's self-control. In terms of visuals, hypno-core often has spirals, moving patterns, eyes, optical illusions, unreality, deja vu, and an undeniable sense of things being wrong.
Hypno-core can often relate to neurodivergencies and mental illnesses such as DID, OSDD, BPD, and anything that causes dissociation and intrusive thoughts.
There are several ways to experience hypnocore, just as there are several different views of hypnosis. Hypnocore can be experienced in everyday happenings where one is in a trance of sort, such as when reading, driving, or when half-asleep. A darker version of hypnocore can also be experienced in dreams or nightmares that involve doing out-of-character actions, and dreams where one knows they are dreaming but is unable to wake up.
Feverdream is a subgenre of Dreamy inspired by the thoughts, sounds, sights, feelings, and emotions caused by a fever dream, or an experience similar to one. It is centered on ideas relating to the experience of a fever dream. A real life fever dream is a dream or nightmare altered by a fever, causing a particularly confusing and bewildering dream at the time, and even more so in remembering.
Nightmare is a subgenre of Dreamy that deals specifically with nightmares people may have, which can deal with some rather dark and disturbing imagery. These can be brought up by examples of trauma, feelings of isolation, and unearthly images that can be seen as incredibly jarring.