Dreamy is an aesthetic that revolves around dreams. The Dreamy aesthetic can dance between the realms of being somewhat grounded in reality to being so surreal that there's no confusing it with one's state of reality.
Dreamy visuals have a very ethereal vibe, which can either be a "realistic" ethereal (which can give it plenty in common with Angelcore or Cloudcore) or a "surreal" ethereal (which can give it plenty in common with either Synthwave or Vaporwave), but shares a lot in common with the Lo-Fi aesthetic (which has a similarly hazy vibe to it). What differentiates the two, however, is Lo-Fi deals almost exclusively with the waking world, Dreamy deals strictly with the "sleeping" world.
- Ruffled top, lace top
- flowy skirts/silk shirts
- ballet flats, white sneakers, sandals, lace white heels
- boot cut jeans
- flowy dress/silk dress
- accessories such as pendants, simple necklaces, pearl earrings, pendant simple earrings, simple rings, and simple glowy makeup.
- tulle dresses, skirts and blouses
- Fiber Optic Light Clothing
- Glow in the Dark Clothing
- Iridescent Clothing
- LED Clothing
- Being John Malkovich (1999)
- Blue Velvet (1986)
- Dreams (1990)
- Eraserhead (1977)
- I'm Thinking of Ending Things (2020)
- Inception (2010)
- Inland Empire (2006)
- Lost Highway (1997)
- Mulholland Drive (2001)
- Perfect Blue (1997)
- Pi (1998)
- The Cell (2000)
- Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (1992)
Among the many "dreamy" styles of music, the most noteworthy is Dream Pop, a subgenre of alternative rock and neo-psychedelia that grew out of ethereal wave/darkwave and developed in the 1980s. The style is typified by a preoccupation with sonic texture and atmosphere as much as melody. It often overlaps with the related genre of shoegazing, and the two genre terms have at times been used interchangeably.
- Cocteau Twins
- Julee Cruise
- My Bloody Valentine
- Piano Magic
- The Ocean Blue
- This Mortal Coil
- I Dreamed I Dream by Sonic Youth
- Only in My Dreams by The Marías
- Bubble baths
- Cloudgazing and stargazing
- Coping with nightmares
- Dreaming and daydreaming
- Enjoying the company of others
- Laying in bed
- Lucid dreaming
- Writing and reading poetry and fantasy stories
- Writing and talking about dreams
Hypnocore is a subgenre of Dreamy that relates to surreality and a sense of being controlled, hypnotized, or otherwise losing one's self-control. In terms of visuals, hypno-core often has spirals, moving patterns, eyes, optical illusions, unreality, deja vu, and an undeniable sense of things being wrong.
There are several ways to experience hypnocore, just as there are several different views of hypnosis. hypnocore can be experienced in everyday happenings where one is in a trance of sort, such as when reading, driving, or when half-asleep. A darker version of hypnocore can also be experienced in dreams or nightmares that involve doing out-of-character actions, and dreams where one knows they are dreaming but is unable to wake up.
Feverdream is a subgenre of Dreamy inspired by the thoughts, sounds, sights, feelings, and emotions caused by a fever dream, or an experience similar to one. A real life fever dream is a dream or nightmare altered by a fever, causing a particularly confusing and bewildering dream at the time, and even more so when remembering it. The Feverdream aesthetic is centered on ideas relating to the experience of a fever dream.
Nightmare is a subgenre of Dreamy that deals specifically with nightmares people may have, which can deal with some rather dark and disturbing imagery. These can be brought up by examples of trauma, feelings of isolation, and unearthly images that can be seen as incredibly jarring - this makes Nightmare similar to Traumacore.
External links to help get a better understanding of this aesthetic.
- Art * Soft & Dreamy Aesthetic by Irene B
- Dreamy Aesthetic by Dreamy & Fairy
- dreamy aesthetics by jules👼🏼
- Dreamy by ekphora
- Dreamy Aesthetic by Skyler Patton
- dreamy aesthetic by Velvet
- Trippy dreams by Forever Blue
- surreal ‼️/dreamcore by 🤎🍄sage🤎🍄
- Beautiful Trippy Dreams by Kayla Maberly
- trippy/dream/weird/glitch by bwtwlgwusw
- Trippy Dreams by Alyssa
- dreamcore backrooms by ani
- Psychedelic/Trippy/Hippy by Sarthak Singh
- Dreamy Vibes Offical Spotify Playlist
- Favorite lofi・DREAMY Spotify playlist by Dreamy (for you Lo-Fi fans out there)
- Dreamy Synthwave Rebels Spotify playlist by Sonic Gap (for the Synthwave fans)
- dreamy songs to make ur heart glow ☁️ Spotify playlist by Steph Bong
- Dreamy Lofi Spotify playlist by Angel Shih
- dreamy vibes & late night drives Spotify playlist by Joshua Samuel
- dreamy🌿✨ Spotify playlist by Autumn Brea
- into the ethereal Spotify playlist by LollyMallow (daydreaming/middle of the night vibes)
- subway through space Spotify playlist by malia🪐