Cottagecore (also known under the name Farmcore or Countrycore) is an aesthetic inspired by a romanticized interpretation of agricultural life. They are centered on the idea of a more simple life and harmony with nature. Certain themes associated are the survival of the environment, food and caring for people. While the aesthetic is predominant on a number of social media sites, Such as on Instagram and more recently Tiktok, the community notably prospers on Tumblr. It is very popular within the WLW community.
Cottagecore fashion commonly involves:
- Longer, loose-fitting, flowy dresses and skirts often (but not always) reminiscent of housework wear from 1900’s-50’s.
- Large layered clothing (as stated above) with big pockets, puffy sleeves, and button blouses are common. (Think sundresses)
- Naturally occurring or faded colours including brown, olive green, ivory, maroon, beige, ochre, dusty rose pink, light yellow and baby blue.
- Patterns including stripes, paisley, faded floral and gingham.
- Embroidered plants, animals and insects.
- Hand-crafted accessories including simple jewelry and knitted hats, socks and overwear.
The cottagecore aesthetic includes:
- Flower pressings, crowns and bundles.
- Gardens of any kind (herb, veggie, fruit, flower).
- Farm, forest and domesticated animals.
- Vintage crockery, most notably tea sets.
- Cottages and farmhouses.
- Cross stitch and embroidery.
- Baking simple/rustic recipes including bread, muffins, pies etc.
- Mostly mushrooms on furniture and glass dishes.
- Open fields, flower farms, sunlight through any type of forest/plant.
- Little Women (1996)
- Matilda (1996)
- Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975)
- Pride & Prejudice (1995)
- Call Me by your Name (2017)
- Kiki’s Delivery Service (1989)
- The Secret of Moonacre (2008)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- The Secret Garden (1993)
- The Sound of Music (1965)
- Atonement (2009)
- The Holiday (2006)
- The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society (2018)
- Life is Beautiful (1997)
- Howard's End (1992)
- Emma (2008)
- Little Women (2020)
- Anne of Green Gables (1985)
- A Room with a View (1985)
- Moonrise Kingdom (2012)
- My Girl (1991)
- Tuck Everlasting (2002)
- The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)
- Tess of the D'Urbervilles (1998)
- Barbie and the Diamond Castle (2008)
- Bon Iver
- chloe moriondo
- Conan Gray
- Cosmo Sheldrake
- Dr. Dog
- The Beatles
- Fleet Foxes
- Florence and the Machine
- Fleetwood Mac
- Gregory Alan Isakov
- In Love With A Ghost
- Iron & Wine
- John Lennon
- Liana Flores
- Lord Huron
- Mt. Joy
- The Oh Hellos
- Vashti Bunyan
- girl in red
- The Crane Wives
- Sufjan Stevens
Spotify Playlists Edit
- 🍄Cottagecore🍄Spotify playlist by fresaemoji
- Cottagecore TikTok Songs Spotify playlist by Carolina Batista
- cottagecore Spotify playlist by laurentran703
- cottagecore lesbians Spotify playlist by elsie
- cottagecore 🧺 Spotify playlist by eladsmx
Example: Pettson and FindusEdit
Pettson and Findus is a series of children's books by the Swedish author Sven Nordqvist. It has been translated in various European languages and some films and books were made, but it never became very well known in America. Though created before the 2010s, its art and stories embody many Cottagecore traits, such as a simple life in nature, and the fact it's about Pettson (a retired farmer) and his talking cat living somewhere in the Swedish countryside, in their cottage, surrounded by beautiful landscapes and animals.The Faerie Handbook: An Enchanting Compendium of Literature, Lore, Art, Recipes, and Projects,written by editors of Faerie magazine is also a comprehensive guide of fashion, fairy lore, Garden pressing instruction, photography, baking, herbs and their different meaning. Art,literature and making fairy cottages.
<to be added by anyone! go wild>