Cartooncore is an aesthetic centered completely around western animation (specifically in America or Canada), as opposed to Animecore, which has more of a focus on Japanese animation.
Given the long, rich history of animation, there is a lot for Cartooncore enthusiasts to draw inspiration from:
- 1920s-1930s Rubber-Hose animation (Disney, Fleischer, and Warner Bros)
- 40's (Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry)
- 50's-70's (Hanna-Barbera and Fritz the Cat)
- 80's (He-man, She-Ra, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, and TMNT)
- 90's (Ren & Stimpy, Beavis and Butthead, Ed, Edd n Eddy, and Johnny Bravo)
- 2000's (Teen Titans, Danny Phantom, 6teen, and Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy)
- 2010's (CalArts, Gravity Falls, and Steven Universe)
- Children's (Kim Possible, Jimmy Neutron, and PPG)
- Adult (Simpsons, South Park, Clone High, Daria, and Cool World)
- Late 90s-present-Flash/Newgrounds/Youtube animations (Edd's World, Nyan Neko Sugar Girls, Sugoi Quest for Kokoro, and Hazbin Hotel/Helluva Boss)
Cartooncore can either focus on a specific cartoon, animation, or movie or it can simply draw from the aesthetics of the style and create something completely new and unique to introduce into the world. Due to the fact that there is a lot more variety to western animation compared to the relative uniformity of anime, there is room for multiple sub genres of Cartooncore to pop up. Cartooncore also is closely related to Nostalgiacore because many people grew up watching cartoons over the past couple of decades.
With cartoons comes a lot of merchandise. Merchandising for cartoons were especially popular during the 80s, such as toys for He-Man, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Transformers. Cartooncore people may wear shirts with logos and characters on them, and may have pins referencing a favorite show. Other items might include:
- Cartoon merchandise.
- Bold colors
- Interesting clothes
- Pixel-type aesthetic
- Watching cartoons
Cartooncore shows will involve, you guessed it, cartoons. Some popular shows in the Cartooncore aesthetic include:
- Adventure Time
- Regular Show
- Bee and Puppycat (Pilot)
- We Bare Bears (Pilot)
- The Summoning
- The Midnight Gospel
- Over the Garden Wall
Cartooncore fans may listen to openings from famous cartoons.
- Cartoon soundtracks
- The Scary Jokes - April Fools
- Jack Stauber - Pop Food
- Treehouse - Alex G
- Animal Crossing Morning Soundtrack
- Talkshow Boy - I Cut Myself
- 100 gecs - stupid horse
- Oliver Buckland
- METAROOM - Temptation Stairway
- Graham Kartna - Browser History
- That Andy Guy - B.O.M.B.
Some games emulate a cartoony aesthetic into their designs. Some examples of cartoony games include:
- Cel Damage
- Epic Mickey
- Bendy and the Ink Machine
Disneycore is an aesthetic based around all things Disney. Vintage Disneycore is based around the old classic Disney films and show whether as Princess Disneycore is constructed around Disney princesses classic or modern. Fashion includes Disney merch, jeans, and Mickey/Minnie Mouse ears or backpacks. Disneycore fans enjoy music such as Disney movie scores, musical songs, and remixes of Disney music.