Boujee (also spelled Bougie), a colloquial shortening of the term "bourgeoisie", is a term used to describe the wealthier side of the middle class. The term is used with both positive and negative connotations, as it can be a goal for many yet offensive to many more, as people who are overwhelmingly wealthy are often blind to the struggles of those without such wealth and opportunity. The term "bourgeoisie" refers to the middle and upper classes that own capital (money, machinery, and other resources used to create more wealth), as opposed to the working class or "proletariat". Hence, this aesthetic is most often associated with celebrities and wealthy business owners and their heirs.
Boujee people are concerned with wealth, status, and all thing luxury. They'll often show off, or "flex", their wealth on social media to gain notoriety and followers, or "clout". Often these flexes will include expensive spa trips, high-end self care and cosmetics, buying expensive foreign vehicles or mansions, trips to luxury resorts and beaches, and more activities of this sort. Boujee people typically radiate confidence and esteem, and can be very charitable. However, they can easily turn to narcissism and entitlement. In any case, hedonism and living life on their terms are some of the main values of boujee life. This is very similar to Baddie, but more refined.
Boujee visuals tend to be very decadent, affluent, and over-the-top in its luxury, showing off things such as name brand luxury items, high-end fashion, expensive jewelry, etc. Items can include:
- Lace clothes
- Silk clothes
- Rose gold
- Tons of jewelry
- Expensive handbags
- Bold makeup
- Big, incredibly modern houses
- Expensive cars
- Luxury spa and self care imagery
- Boujee Fashion Style by ETBG
- Boujee by Hotgirl
- Boujee by Remaliah Jackson
- Boujee by Mz.B 😈👸⭐️
- boujee ✨ by 𝐇🧸
- •boujee• by • 𝓲𝓷𝓼𝓹𝓸 •
Boujee fashion is very extravagant, over-the-top, and flashy, with huge name brands being very popular, such as Hermes, Gucci, Chanel, Armani, Alexander McQueen, Louis Vuitton, Dior, Cartier, etc. The Boujee fashion can trace its roots back to the Haute Couture (French for "high dressmaking") fashion genre, the creation of exclusive custom-fitted clothing first started in the 1800s. It is high-end fashion that is constructed by hand from start to finish, made from high-quality, expensive, often unusual fabric and sewn with extreme attention to detail and finished by the most experienced and capable sewers, often using time-consuming, hand-executed techniques.
Boujee fashion also tends to be chic, elegant, and stylish way that’s associated with a fashionable lifestyle, ideology, or pursuit wearing the latest. Fashion items for the ladies can include:
- Designer shoes and heels
- Fake nails
- Silk, satin, velvet, fur
- Cocktail dresses
- Lace tops
- Impressive buns and braids
- Large sunglasses,
- Designer handbags
- Rhinestones and sparkles
- Real gems, diamonds, and pearls
- Big curls, or super flat ironed hair
As far as make-up goes, Boujee make also tends to be very extravagant, bold, and over-the-top with noticeable fake lashes. Reversley, Boujee people can also be masters of the "no-makeup" makeup look.
For the men, there is Evening Black Tie dress code; a semi-formal Western dress code for evening events, originating in British and American conventions for attire in the 19th century. In British English, the dress code is often referred to synecdochically by its principal element for men, the dinner suit or dinner jacket(sometimes abbreviated to just a DJ). This dress code includes:
- Dinner jacket
- A black low-cut waistcoat or a cummerbund.
- A white dress, cuffs and a turndown collar.
- A black silk bow tie matching the lapel facings
- Shirt studs and cufflinks.
- A black evening waistcoat or cummerbund.
- Black dress socks, usually of silk or fine wool.
- Black shoes, traditionally patent leather court shoes (pumps).
Boujee music typically is popular music (a lot of hip-hop and R&B) that talks a lot about living the high life and enjoying the finer things in life. Some popular Boujee artists include Nicki Minaj, Ariana Grande, Lady Gaga, Doja Cat, Megan thee stallion, etc. Despite this, some adherents to the Boujee aesthetic might also listen to Lo-Fi music to add another level of opulence to their life.
- boujee bish 💅 Spotify playlist by fernanark
- sad and boujee Spotify playlist by kenneth
- Boujee Spotify playlist by Alexander Soundy
- Boujee, Bad & Fit AF🔥 Spotify Playlist by Meghan Howard
- sassy boujee ratchet Spotify playlist by Ashley Gray
- Boujee $$ Spotify playlist by Reyhan
- Dynasty (CW; 2017-)
- Gossip Girl (CW; 2007-2012)
- The Hills (MTV; 2006-2010)
- The City (MTV; 2008-2010)
- Keeping Up with the Kardashians (E!; 2007-2021)
- The Great Gatsby (2013)
- Six Degrees of Separation (1993)
- The Color of Money (1986)
- Bernard and Doris (2006)
- The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)