Acidwave is centered around visuals inspired by depictions of hallucinations caused by hallucinogenic drugs, especially lysergic acid diethylamide, colloquially known as acid, from which the aesthetic derives its name. It started as a subgenre of House music that was popular in raves (which could draw some comparisons to Raver culture) but has evolved into a full blown aesthetic in its own right.
Acidwave visuals have a very melty, psychedelic, and colorful appearance, often drawing upon the tie-dye imagery that was popular in the days of the Hippies. Despite that, some Acidwave aesthetic imagery can have a dark, unsettling vibe to them (like a bad acid trip) as well as a peaceful, tranquil vibe (like a good acid trip).
Extra: Film: The hotel on acid (1998)
- ⚡AESTHETIC: acidwave/psychedelica by Chaotic Good
- Acidwave 🎆 Spotify playlist by Cesar Nieto
- aCiD wAvE Spotify playlist by lceman_333
- acidwave Spotify playlist by celadatati
- Acid House Spotify playlist by the folks at Spotify
- The Sound of Acid House Spotify playlist by The Sounds of Spotify